The Grove City Division of Police reminds residents of a few simple safety tips. Drivers are encouraged to practice additional caution because of high pedestrian traffic that evening. Children are impulsive and may not always remember to be safe.
Download the State of Ohio Responsible Restart Halloween Guidelines.
Download the Franklin County Public Health Halloween Trick-or-Treat Recommendations.
Before Trick-or-Treat, parents are encouraged to:
- Choose a costume easy to be seen and to walk in. It is best to select a non-flammable material.
- Use reflective tape on costumes and provide a flashlight.
- Make sure the eye holes on masks are large enough to see out of or use face paint as an alternative. If a child does wear a mask, instruct him/her to take it off before crossing the street.
- Plan a route ahead of time with children, picking streets that are well-lit and they know well.
- Accompany children or send them with an older sibling or a group.
- Send a phone with the child and provide instructions for calling 911 in an emergency or when lost.
- Secure emergency identification (name, address, phone number) discreetly within the costume or on a bracelet.
During Trick-or-Treat, encourage children to:
- Travel in a group and hold on to treat bags tightly.
- Only stop at houses with well-lit porches. Travel in a familiar neighborhood.
- Cross the street only at corners and never cross between parked cars or the middle of the block.
- Walk on well-lit streets and stay on sidewalks.
- Watch out for candles in jack-o’-lanterns that may catch clothes on fire.
- Never go into the home of a stranger, even if invited inside for a treat.
- When there is no sidewalk, walk single-file as far left on the roadway as possible, facing traffic.
After Trick-or-Treat, parents are encouraged to:
- Sort and check treats in a well-lit area.
- Throw away any candy or food that is not wrapped and sealed by the manufacturer.
- Carefully check all wrappers for signs of tampering.
- Always wash and cut open fruit before taking a bite.
If any harmful items are found, notify the Grove City Division of Police immediately at 614-277-1710.