One of the department’s functions is to regulate the community’s growth and development through the development review process.
- Staff assist applicants through the review process from conceptual plan submittal through final plan approval.
- Applications are reviewed and evaluated to ensure proposed improvements and projects follow city codes and regulations aiding and ensuring continued quality development.
In general, development review is a three-step process that varies in length depending on the type of application. The steps include:
- Administrative review: Plans are submitted for review and comments provided by various city departments and local agencies.
- Planning Commission: Considers public comments, then reviews and makes a recommendation to City Council.
- City Council: Considers additional public comments, then approves or rejects the application.
Based on the complexity, it takes eight to ten weeks to progress from application submission to Council approval.
Download the Review and Approval Process graphic to obtain the specific approval process based on application type.