Trash & Yard Waste
The City contracts with Local Waste Services to provide weekly curbside collection of solid waste, recyclables and yard waste on the same day. Residents of Grove City and Jackson Township must use Local Waste Services for this collection.
- The service is billed quarterly, directly from Local Waste Services.
- Accounts are set up by calling 614-409-9375 or by using the Local Waste Customer Service Portal.
- First-time users must register.
- Seniors can take advantage of a discounted rate.
- If you are the head of the household and at least 62 years old, you can register for a 10-% discount with a valid identification showing birth date and proof of residency, e.g., utility bill, etc.
- For more information call Local Waste Services 614-409-9375 to register.
- Single-family residencesare serviced by Local Waste Services.
- Trash, recyclables, and yard waste should be set at the curb on your collection day by 7 am but no earlier than 5 pm the day before your collection day.
- Within 24 hours, return such containers to the rear or other inconspicuous location on the lot, per Ordinance 725.07(a).
- Multi-family residences (apartments and condos) are serviced by a private service of the owner's choice. Contact the property manager to get accurate information regarding your service if you live in a multi-family complex.
- Commercial occupancies are serviced by a private service of the owner's/tenant's choice.
Collections of Holidays
Local Waste Services observe the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- If a holiday falls on or before your collection day (Monday through Friday), service is delayed for one day that week only. Friday collection will take place on Saturday.
If the holiday falls on Saturday or Sunday, there will be no change to your regular, scheduled pick up.
Preparing your materials for proper collection.
If materials are not properly prepared, your materials may not be collected.
- All trash must be placed in resident provided bags or approved containers.
- Each bag or container must weigh less than 50 pounds.
- A rolling trash cart may also be available for rent.
- This charge is set up directly with Local Waste Services, call 614-409-9375 for additional information.
Do not place these items in the trash
- Appliances containing Freon (refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners).
- Lead-acid batteries (car and motorcycle batteries).
- Liquid waste, including used motor oil and paint.
- Yard Waste
- Dangerous item like; explosive items, radioactive waste and other materials that could injure the workers collecting your trash.
Proper Disposal of Dangerous & Difficult Materials
- Needles and "sharps "disposal information can be found on the Columbus Public Health website.
- Household Hazardous Waste such as fluorescent light bulbs, lawn chemicals and old gasoline disposal information can be found on SWACO's website.
- Find Grove City Prescription Drug disposal information.
- Furniture, carpeting, mattresses, box springs and other bulk items will be collected with the regular trash when placed at the curb.
- Any upholstered items (including mattresses and box springs) must be wrapped in plastic.
- To learn more about what is acceptable in your trash; and how to properly dispose of or recycle items that do not belong in the trash, please visit SWACO's website.
Yard waste should be placed at the curb on your normal yard waste collection day.
Accepted Yard Waste
- Grass, bush and shrub cuttings, leaves, garden growth and vines.
- Tree limbs or branches 4 feet in length and 2 inches in diameter or less may be bundled with twine or string. Do not use plastic or wire to enclose yard waste; these materials cannot be processed.
Yard Waste Collection Rules
- No plastic bags, plastic straps, plastic pots, food waste, rocks or dirt is permitted with yard waste.
- Place at curb on your collection day by 7 am but no earlier than 5 pm the day before.
- Residents are responsible for cleaning the area if bags break due to weather issues or too heavy containers.
Acceptable Yard Waste Containers
- Residents are responsible for providing their own yard waste bags or containers.
- Loose material should be placed in biodegradable bags or rigid containers clearly marked "yard waste only."
- "Yard Waste Only" stickers can be obtained in City Hall, 4035 Broadway or the Service Department, 3262 Ventura Boulevard, to place on waste receptacles designated for yard waste.
- Each biodegradable bag, container or bundle must weigh less than 50 pounds.
- Do not place yard waste in plastic bags - use only biodegradable paper bags (available from hardware and grocery stores) or clearly marked rigid containers.
For more information contact the Public Service Department or call 614-277-1100.
Why Recycling Matters
Did you know every resident generates an average of 4 or 5 pounds of waste each day? With only so much landfill space available, it's critical we reuse, recycle, compost or divert as much as we can.
- The City provides each resident with containers to place acceptable items in for recycling. Please place these containers at the curb on your collection day under the same guidelines as your trash.
- If your recycling container becomes damaged, please contact Local Waste Services at 614-409-9375.
- Residents may also rent an additional rolling recycling cart. This charge is set up directly with our local waste hauler.
The City wants to make proper recycling as easy as possible for you so we provide each resident with containers to place acceptable items in for recycling. Please place these containers at the curb on your recycling day under the same guidelines as your trash.
- Is your recycling container damaged?
- Are you interested in a rolling recycling cart? There may be a rental option.
For more information contact Local Waste Services at 614-409-9375.
Don't just recycle. Recycle Right.
SWACO's "Recycle Right" campaign makes proper recycling easy by providing a comprehensive list of what should and shouldn't go in the container.
For more information about "Recycle Right," please visit the SWACO Recycle Right website.
Have an Unwanted or Hard to Recycle Item?
Rumpke accepts disposable paper, plastic and aluminum cups in curbside and drop box programs, recycled materials include paper and plastic beverage cups from fast-food restaurants, plastic souvenir cups and Ball brand aluminum cups.
Year-Round Community E-Waste Disposal
Residents can drop off or recycle electronics or e-waste at the Jackson Township Administration Building, 3756 Hoover Road.
- There is a drop-off bin in the foyer, available weekdays, 8 am to 4 pm
- Monitors and TVs are not accepted.
Acceptable Recycling Items
- Computers (desktop, tower, servers)
- Tablets and iPads/PDAs
- Cell phones/Smart phones
- Wireless routers/Cable modems
- Network routers and switches
- Chargers and cables
- Dish and Direct TV receivers
- Cable Boxes
- Stereos (no speakers)
- Computer components