As the holiday season approaches, many of us become wrapped up in holiday festivities. It’s easy to forget about simple precautions when it comes to protecting our homes, families and ourselves. The Grove City Division of Police would like to remind everyone of a few holiday safety tips to ensure that you and your family have a safe and happy holiday season.
If you are shopping…
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look around.
- Park in a well-lit area and be sure to lock your vehicle. Make sure you do not leave shopping bags or purses in your vehicle in plain view.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Pay with a check or credit card when possible.
- Never provide credit card numbers unless you initiate the purchase.
- Carry your purse close to your body. Place your wallet in an inside or front pants pocket.
- Teach your children to go to a store clerk or security guard if they become lost or separated.
If you are out for the evening…
- Turn on lights and a radio or TV so it appears that someone is home.
- Be diligent about locking your doors and windows, even when you’re gone for a short time.
- Do not display gifts or high-priced items in your home where they can be seen from the outside.
If you are going out of town…
- Fill out a Request for Home Security Check form online or visit the Safety Complex, 3360 Park St.; forms are available in the lobby area. Your home will be checked by the Grove City Division of Police while you are away.
- Stop your mail and newspaper or ask a neighbor to collect them for you.
- Advise a trusted neighbor that you will be out of town. Ask them to report any suspicious activity to the police immediately.
After the holidays…
Do not advertise the gifts received during the holidays. Avoid setting out boxes from high-priced items at the curb on trash day by dropping them in a drop box for recycling. If you must place them at the curb, break down boxes and turn them inside out so passersby cannot see the labels.
Many programs are available to educate and deter unlawful activity. Visit the Grove City Division of Police website for crime alerts, trends and tips.
If you would like additional information on other crime prevention programs, call 614-277-1765.