The City of Grove City is a member of the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA). The RITA deadline for 2019 taxes is midnight, Wednesday, July 15.
Internal Revenue Service Economic Impact Payments
Millions of Americans have already received their Economic Impact Payments authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act). For answers to frequently asked questions related to these payments, visit the Economic Impact Payment Information Center website.
IRS, State of Ohio & Grove City Extends Filing & Payment Deadlines
The Ohio Tax Commissioner announced the State of Ohio and all Ohio municipalities will match the extended July 15, 2020 federal income tax due date for returns and taxes originally due April 15, 2020.
This deferment applies to all taxpayers, including individuals, trusts and estates, corporations and other non-corporate tax filers as well as those who pay self-employment tax.
Taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS, the City of Grove City or the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA) to qualify for this automatic tax filing and payment relief.
Business or individual taxpayers who need additional time to file beyond the July 15 deadline can request a filing extension by submitting Form 4868 ithrough their tax professional, tax software or with the IRS. Businesses who need additional time must file Form 7004 with the IRS. Filing an extension with the IRS automatically extends your Grove City/RITA filing due date (but not the payment due date) beyond July 15, 2020. Please note that any extension granted to a taxpayer who files a Form 4868 or Form 7004 is based on the original due date of April 15; i.e., a six-month extension would make the new filing due date Oct. 15 with a pay due date of July 15.
Please be aware that taxes due prior April 15, 2020 are not affected by the automatic extension and should be paid.
First and second quarter estimated tax deadline has been extended to July 15, 2020.
Penalties and interest will begin to accrue on any remaining unpaid balances as of July 16, 2020. You will automatically avoid interest and penalties on the taxes paid by July 15.
Visit the IRS Coronavirus web page for additional information.
Follow the links below to access General Tax Information, Tax Forms, Tax Ordinances, and Rules & Regulations:
You must file a Grove City income tax return if you:
- Lived in Grove City for any part of 2018 and earned income during that period. Earned income includes: wages, self-employment income, farm income, income from rental property you own and pass-through income from partnerships in which you are a partner.
- Did not live in Grove City for any part of the year and you earned wages in Grove City from which no Grove City tax was withheld.
- You conducted business in Grove City. Conducting business includes: owned rental property in Grove City, operated a farm in Grove City, rented commercial property in Grove City or performed services in Grove City as a sole-proprietor or independent contractor, etc.
You do not need to file a Grove City income tax return if you:
- Did not live in Grove City for any part of the year, and your only income earned in Grove City was pass-through income from entities filing as partnerships and S-corporations for federal tax purposes. The entity generating the pass-through Grove City income, however, must file.
- Are a retiree living in Grove City whose only income is social security, retirement payments, interest and dividends. However, you should file the Grove City Tax Exemption form if you have not filed one in a prior year.
- Unpaid Grove City income taxes are subject to a 15% penalty and interest equal to the federal short-term rate plus 5%. Returns filed after the due date, or extended due date, are subject to a $25 per month late-filing fee (maximum of $150). Note: the penalty for employers who fail to remit the tax withheld from their employees’ wages is 50% of the tax that was not remitted.
- All Grove City employers must deduct 2% from employee wages.
These are guidelines, if you have additional questions, please email the Grove City Finance Department or call 614-277-3025. If sending an email, do not include your social security number in the message.