Century Village at Fryer Park, 4185 Orders Road, represents life in an emerging central Ohio community during the mid-1800s through the display of buildings and artifacts characteristic of the times. This cooperative, developing effort of the City of Grove City and the Southwest Franklin County Historical Society is home to a number of relocated and reconstructed historic structures, as well as a schoolhouse original to the site.
ORDERS ROAD SCHOOL
In 1879, the Orders family deeded an acre to the Jackson Township Board of Education for Schoolhouse No. 10 – “Orders Road School” – where three generations of students received their primary education before the district consolidated in 1928. The land was transferred to the City of Grove City in 1995.
Original to Site • 1880s
Transferred: 1995 • Restored: 2001-2002
KEGG-KIENTZ LOG HOUSE
This log home was constructed by the William Kegg family between 1860 and 1880. In 1915, property was purchased by the Ruoffs then sold in 1960 to the Kientz Family. The house was dismantled with the help from Orient Correctional Institution inmates and rebuilt by SWFCHS and Grove City.
Original to Kegg Property, Beatty Road • ca. 1860-1880
Transferred: 1997 • Reconstructed: 2003-2004
Donated by: Kientz Family
JONES LOG BARN
Constructed on land owned by the Jones family in the 1850s, this barn was dismantled with help from Pickaway Correctional Institution inmates and reconstructed by SWFCHS volunteers and Grove City.
Original to Jones Property, Rensch Road • 1850s
Transferred: July 2003 • Reconstructed: 2006
Donated by: Patty L. Jones
Windmills harnessed wind power to pump water from wells freeing farmers to work on other tasks. This example is reconstructed with parts from two separate windmills.
Original to Borror Farm at Jackson Pike & London-Groveport Road; Demorest Road • post-1870
Transferred: 2007 • Reconstructed: 2008
Donated by M/I Homes and B.J. & Jody Roach
This type of outside toilet was used before more hygienic methods of wastewater disposal such as sanitary sewers.
Original to Baumgartner Farm, Big Run South Road • Unknown
Transferred: Spring 2008
Donated by: Baumgartner Family
Once located on a 203-acre farm, this house constructed by the Haines family prior to 1850 was occupied by the Black family from 1935 until the 1990s.
Original to Borror Road, South of Zuber Road • pre-1850
Transferred: Fall 2009 • Reconstructed: 2009-2012
Donated by: David & Donald Black
BOB EVANS DOUBLE-CRIB LOG BARN
Crib barns are multifunctional structures made of rough-hewn logs notched and laid horizontally. The unfilled gaps saved labor and provided ventilation. They sheltered livestock, held feed, stored equipment, housed workshops and more. Original to Perry County, this barn was dismantled and stored before being purchased and reconstructed by the Bob Evans Farm. They donated it to SWFCHS and Grove City.
Original to Perry County • ca. 1860-1890
Transferred: 2009 • Reconstructed: 2010-2011
Donated by: Bob Evans Farms (structure), Andy Deshong (lumber), Jim Brown (hinges & latches)
AUGENSTEIN-SPILLMAN BLACKSMITH SHOP
Blacksmiths were central figures in a growing community. This shop was constructed using original logs from a two-story log home built on Beatty Road in the 1850s and furnished with tools used in Earl F. Augenstein’s Blacksmith Shop on Orders Road, 1952-1997.
Materials Original to: Beatty Road (logs), Orders Road (tools)
Donated by: Roger and Jean Spillman (historic logs), Augenstein Family (tools)
This small granary was built on the Ziegenspect Farm, on Harrisburg Pike just South of St. Rt. 665, around 1927. The granary was used to dry seeds for the family to use the following season’s crops. Steve Funk purchased the farm in 2003, donating the granary to the Southwest Franklin County Historical Society and the City of Grove City in 2014.
Original Location: Harrisburg Pike, South of St. Rt. 665
Original Construction: around 1927
The Southwest Franklin County Historical Society and the City of Grove City want to thank Dow AgroSciences LLC and Columbus Pest Control, Inc. for help in protecting the historical buildings of Century Village from termite attack. Dow AgroSciences generously has donated Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination System with Always Active™ technology, and Columbus Pest Control, Inc. generously has provided system services.